Information for road safety professionals
Brake values enormously its partnerships in Road Safety Week with road safety officers, emergency services personnel, driving instructors, health professionals and other road safety professionals. You are at the frontline of road safety work year-round. Road Safety Week gives you an opportunity to link your work into a national event, to help you gain extra publicity and provide you with additional resources to support the great work you already do.
A national event like Road Safety Week can help bring media attention to your initiatives, raising your profile and getting your message out to the public.
Get your action pack of tips, ideas and downloadable resources to use during the Week:
COVID-19 update: We know COVID-19 continues to have an impact on many organisations and communities, and on the way we can all operate and run activities. A lot of our activity suggestions can be adapted to run in various settings, whether in a community venue/school/centre, at home or via online learning/meetings/communication if needed. Our electronic action pack will also have activities and resources that can be used in a variety of settings.
Access Road Safety Week resources
Watch our webinar on taking part in Road Safety Week
Get ideas for participating and hear examples from other organisations. Watch the webinar.
Free action pack
Sign up for a free electronic action pack full of downloadable resources and activity ideas.
Hard copy resources
In addition to the electronic action pack, you can order low-cost hard copy resources for your activities.
Interactive games and resources
Access our free interactive games and download the Road Safety Week signboard.
How safe is your street? survey
We are asking people to tell us what they think about the safety of streets where they live by completing an anonymous online survey. Please encourage your communities to get involved. We'll use some of the results in our Road Safety Week campaign, and may also use them in other work.
How to get involved
There are lots of different ways to take part in Road Safety Week.
Register for Road Safety Week and we'll send you a free, online action pack, full of advice, ideas and activities to help you get involved.
- Run an awareness campaign on social media asking people to share their views on the safety of streets in their community, and pledge to use roads more safely.
- Raise awareness of local initiatives through a media photo call and press release. A template is provided in the action pack and to help you brand a photo call, Brake offers low-cost promotional resources, such as t-shirts. We can customise these with your branding if you let us know in advance.
- Support local schools, nurseries and colleges to run Road Safety Week activities. Many road safety teams help promote activities for nurseries, schools and colleges, such as Beep Beep! Days for kids aged 2 to 7, and Bright Days, which remind drivers to slow down and watch out for pedestrians. We also encourage educators to contact their local road safety officer for information on school travel plans, pedestrian and cyclist training, and road engineering issues. Read our information for educators.
- Print and display the free posters in your action pack in your workplace or community.
- Run information sessions for staff, or what about a fun activity such as a road safety quiz throughout the week, with prizes for the winners.
- Take part in one of our great fundraising activities to support Brake's vital work campaigning for safe and healthy mobility for all and supporting people affected by road death and serious injury.
- Encourage people to make the Brake Pledge.
Run partnership community awareness activities
Use our flagship national event to work with your partners to deliver community awareness activities: demonstrate the dangers of drink-driving or speeding with a town-centre roadshow; work with a local haulage company to demonstrate truck blind spots to cyclists; or tour schools to talk about staying safe on roads.
Find out more
Read about how road safety professionals took part in Road Safety Week last year.
Sign up for our FREE webinar to hear from other organisations that have taken part in Road Safety Week and get ideas on running successful activities and communication campaigns in your organisation and community.
Run a road safety event and fundraise for Brake
Every week people are killed and seriously injured on our roads. Each crash is a tragedy, each death and serious injury is preventable.
Brake's vision is a world with zero road deaths and serious injuries where everyone moves in a safe and healthy way, as part of our normal day. Help us achieve this goal by supporting us through fundraising or a donation.
View our community campaign kit for ideas on generating media coverage for fundraising and road safety awareness activities that you're running.
Make some noise
Whatever you’re planning for Road Safety Week, make sure you let others know about it! There will be plenty of graphics and tools for social media in your action pack, so register now and let us know what you are planning to do.