Go Yellow in Road Safety Week and help to raise awareness of road safety and the devastating consequences of road crashes.
The Yellow Ribbon Road Safety Alliance supports Road Safety Week. The Alliance is a group of organisations committed to raising road safety awareness and working to make roads safer. It uses the yellow ribbon, and the colour yellow, as a symbol and commitment to road safety.
There are lots of ways you can support Road Safety Week and raise awareness of road safety using the colour yellow:
- Hold a yellow dress down day, where everyone comes in wearing yellow. If you're running a Bright Day or Beep Beep! Day in Road Safety Week, it's easy to turn those yellow.
- Wear a yellow ribbon or yellow ribbon pin to show your support.
- Display a yellow ribbon on/in your building or vehicle. (If displaying on vehicles, ensure you are displaying in line with vehicle safety requirements for all motor vehicles or Heavy Motor Vehicles).
- Light a building, bridge or other icon in yellow for the week.
A number of buildings, bridges and other icons around the country will be lit yellow for Road Safety Week:
- Vector Lights Auckland Harbour Bridge - Auckland
- Anzac Parade Bridge - Hamilton
- Whangarei Bridges - Whangarei
- The Upper Hutt Fantail - Upper Hutt
- The Michael Fowler Centre - Wellington
- Oamaru Opera House - Oamaru
The Yellow Ribbon Alliance is very grateful to all the local councils and other organisations that have helped to organise this - Vector Lights, Hamilton City Council, Michael Fowler Centre, Whangarei District Council, Northland Regional Council, Upper Hutt City Council, Waitaki District Council.
Photo credit: Jay Farnworth, Auckland Council
The Yellow Ribbon Road Safety Alliance consists of the following members: Road Safety Education, Brake, AMI, Bridgestone, BOC, NZ Steel, Rotary.
Yellow icon photo competition
We want to get the best photos possible of the yellow icons during Road Safety Week and we're looking for your help to get them.
The best photos of each icon will be used to help us promote Road Safety Week and the use of the colour yellow to raise awareness of road safety.
16s and under - the best photo overall from a person aged 16 and under will receive a $50 gift voucher.